Senior Instructor - Avid Pro Tools, Reason and 5.1 Mixing
Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
In addition to years of experience in the music industry as an engineer and producer, Steve is one of the very few certified Pro Tools 8 experts on the planet and brings that skill and dedication to his position as chief Engineer at Pyramind Studios on a daly basis.
Steve recently recorded the orchestral parts for the Iron Man 2 video game release in 2010 and has worked on numerous big titles. He tracked all of the dialog and also mixed Halo "The Return" for Waypoint on XBox live and is currently working on many things still super secret.
Senior Instructor - Avid Pro Tools and Music Mixing 301
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
A practicing musician for over 20 years, Bryan’s main instruments are electric and acoustic guitar and electric bass. While obtaining his Bachelor's degree in Advertising & Public Relations at Pennsylvania State University, Bryan played in local bands, organized open mic nights and continued taking and teaching private lessons.
His first professional studio experience came working outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in a local independent studio tracking local bands and burning as many hours in the studio as humanly possible. Shortly thereafter, he invested in his first home studio (remember ADAT??) and recorded six solo records before enrolling with Pyramind in 2005.
Hired by Pyramind in 2006, Bryan has gone on to gain Pro Tools Operator Music, Operator Post, and Expert Certification in Versions 7, 8 and 9. Now the Director of Education, Bryan teaches several classes a week and continues to record, produce, mix and master as much music as possible. Additionally Bryan has contributed guitar work to both the Iron Man II and Halo Anniversary video games.
Avid Pro Tools Courses
Avid Pro Tools 10 Classes
This course covers basic Pro Tools principles, giving you the required skills to complete a Pro Tools project from initial set up to final mix-down. The course has been dramatically reworked and updated for Pro Tools 11 software.
Whether your project involves recording of live instruments, MIDI sequencing of software synthesizers, or audio looping, this course will give you the basic skills to succeed.
• Getting to know Pro Tools inside
• Creating your first session
• Making your first audio recording
• Importing media
• Making your first MIDI recording
• Selecting and navigating
• Basic editing techniques
• Introduction to mixing
• Finishing your work
This course provides a more detailed look at the Pro Tools system. It covers all the key concepts and skills needed to operate a Pro Tools system.
This course also provides the foundation for the later 200-series Pro Tools Music Production and Post Production courses.
• Getting started – Configuring your studio and session
• Controlling Pro Tools – What is an external controller?
• Managing sessions and tracks
• Recording MIDI and audio
• Loop recording and auditioning
• Understanding timescales
• Editing MIDI
• Editing audio
• Understanding automation
• Mixing – Use of sends, returns, and plug-ins
This course provides students with exposure to the core skills, workflow, and concepts involved in creating and implementing game audio using Pro Tools systems. It covers basic sound design techniques for both Macintosh and Windows systems.
Session time is divided between demonstration and hands-on practice, with ample time for experimentation with sample material, and understanding the Game Audio Workflow and common techniques for assessing, acquiring, recording, editing, mastering and implementing game audio
• Working with Dialog
• Incorporating Foley
• Adding Sound Effects
• Working with Background (Ambient) Sounds
• Creating an Interactive Music Score
• Incorporating Realistic Vehicle Sounds
• Creating Dynamic Cinematics
This course covers the core concepts and skills needed to operate a Avid Pro Tools HD system in a professional studio environment.
• Differences between Pro Tools workstations
• Introducing Pro Tools HD
• Customizing Pro Tools to your session requirements
• Session management
• Selection techniques
• Editing techniques
• Using automation
• Mixing — In-depth plug-in usage
• Completing a session — Creating a final mixdown
• Avid ICON worksurface supplement included
This course covers techniques for working with Pro Tools systems in a professional music production environment. Concepts and skills learned in 101, 110, and 201 are reinforced with practical music-specific examples.
• Preparing a session
• Tracking and overdubbing – Use of QuickPunch (TM)
• Virtual instruments
• MIDI composition
• Professional editing techniques
• Sampling in Pro Tools – Using software samplers
• Arranging and producing
• Mixing and automation in music production
• Synchronization basics for music applications
• Using an Avid ICON worksurface in music production
This course covers techniques for working with Pro Tools in a professional post production environment. Concepts and skills learned in 101,110, and 201 are reinforced with practical post-specific examples.
• Synchronizing Pro Tools for audio post
• Linear video in Pro Tools
• Non-linear video in Pro Tools, including QuickTime video and Avid®-compatible media
• Video interoperability – Using Media Station|PT software
• Recording and editing ADR in Pro Tools
• Organizing a post session
• Editing multi-channel audio in a stereo environment
• Mixing to picture, including snapshot automation
• Digital picture integration with an emphasis on working with Avid media
• Layback and export options
• Using an Avid ICON worksurface in post production
This course focuses on the advanced operation of Pro Tools in a professional music production environment. This course offers technical insights into both Pro Tools hardware and software.
• Configuration and troubleshooting
• Tactile control of Pro Tools – Increasing efficiency on worksurfaces
• Advanced recording and importing audio – Includes project interchange
• Advanced editing – Expert music editing techniques
• Synchronization – Detailed common aspects of synchronization
• Advanced routing and mixing – Expert mixing concepts
• Advanced automation – Pro Tools expert automation functionality
• Mixing with plug-ins
• Music delivery
• Expert focus on ICON worksurfaces in music production