Avid Pro Tools
101 // 110 // 130
201 // 210M // 210P // 310M
Pro Tools 101: Introduction
This course covers basic Pro Tools principles, giving you the required skills to complete a Pro Tools project from initial set up to final mix-down. The course has been dramatically reworked and updated for Pro Tools 11 software.
- Getting to know Pro Tools inside
- Creating your first session
- Making your first audio recording
- Importing media
- Making your first MIDI recording
- Selecting and navigating
- Basic editing techniques
- Introduction to mixing
- Finishing your work
Pro Tools 110: Essentials
This course provides a more detailed look at the Pro Tools system. It covers all the key concepts and skills needed to operate a Pro Tools system.
- Getting started – Configuring your studio and session
- Controlling Pro Tools – What is an external controller?
- Managing sessions and tracks
- Recording MIDI and audio
- Loop recording and auditioning
- Understanding timescales
- Editing MIDI
- Editing audio
- Understanding automation
- Mixing – Use of sends, returns, and plug-ins
Pro Tools 130: Game Audio
This course provides students with exposure to the core skills, workflow, and concepts involved in creating and implementing game audio using Pro Tools systems. It covers basic sound design techniques for both Macintosh and Windows systems.
- Working with Dialog
- Incorporating Foley
- Adding Sound Effects
- Working with Background (Ambient) Sounds
- Creating an Interactive Music Score
- Incorporating Realistic Vehicle Sounds
- Creating Dynamic Cinematics
Pro Tools 201:
This course covers the core concepts and skills needed to operate a Avid Pro Tools HD system in a professional studio environment.
- Differences between Pro Tools workstations
- Introducing Pro Tools HD
- Customizing Pro Tools to your session requirements
- Session management
- Selection techniques
- Editing techniques
- Using automation
- Mixing — In-depth plug-in usage
- Completing a session — Creating a final mixdown
- Avid ICON work-surface supplement included
Pro Tools 210M: Music Production Techniques
This course covers techniques for working with Pro Tools systems in a professional music production environment. Concepts and skills learned in 101, 110, and 201 are reinforced with practical music-specific examples.
- Preparing a session
- Tracking and overdubbing – Use of QuickPunch (TM)
- Virtual instruments
- MIDI composition
- Professional editing techniques
- Sampling in Pro Tools – Using software samplers
- Arranging and producing
- Mixing and automation in music production
- Synchronization basics for music applications
- Using an Avid ICON worksurface in music production
Pro Tools 210P:
Post Production Techniques
This course covers techniques for working with Pro Tools in a professional post production environment. Concepts and skills learned in 101,110, and 201 are reinforced with practical post-specific examples.
- Synchronizing Pro Tools for audio post
- Linear video in Pro Tools
- Non-linear video in Pro Tools, including QuickTime video and Avid®-compatible
- Video interoperability – Using Media Station|PT software
- Recording and editing ADR in Pro Tools
- Organizing a post session
- Editing multi-channel audio in a stereo environment
- Mixing to picture, including snapshot automation
- Digital picture integration with an emphasis on working with Avid media
- Layback and export options
- Using an Avid ICON work-surface in post production
Pro Tools 310M: Advanced Music Production
This course focuses on the advanced operation of Pro Tools in a professional music production environment. This course offers technical insights into both Pro Tools hardware and software.
- Configuration and troubleshooting
- Tactile control of Pro Tools – Increasing efficiency on work-surfaces
- Advanced recording and importing audio – Includes project interchange
- Advanced editing – Expert music editing techniques
- Synchronization – Detailed common aspects of synchronization
- Advanced routing and mixing – Expert mixing concepts
- Advanced automation – Pro Tools expert automation functionality
- Mixing with plug-ins
- Music delivery
- Expert focus on ICON worksurfaces in music production
Avid Pro Tools - Instructors
Instructor - Avid Pro Tools
Hailing from the UK, Pro Tools Expert Paul Simmans has been living in San Francisco since 2001. Specializing in audio engineering and production, post-production, game-audio, sound design, foley, ADR, and voice-over work for film, TV and advertising, Paul has worked at several Bay Area studios, including: Studio D (Sausalito), Fantasy Studios, Polarity Post Production, Outpost Studios, Broken Radio (now ‘Coast Recorders’), and Pyramind. He was Senior Audio Engineer at Mark Keller’s Loudville Studios in Sausalito for 5 years, and continues working with Mark recording voice-over for Emmy award winning show Undercover Boss, as well as National Geographic shows Unlikely Animal Friends; Shark Men; and Can it be Built?.
Senior Instructor - Avid Pro Tools, Reason and 5.1 Mixing
In addition to years of experience in the music industry as an engineer and producer, Steve is one of the very few certified Pro Tools Experts on the planet and brings that skill and dedication to his position as chief Engineer at Pyramind Studios on a daly basis.
Steve recently recorded the orchestral parts for the Iron Man 2 video game release in 2010 and has worked on numerous big titles. He tracked all of the dialog and also mixed Halo "The Return" for Waypoint on XBox live and is currently working on many things still super secret.