Get More InformationNeed More InfoContact Us:
Pyramind Student Tracks:
Ableton Live Instructor
Zaak’s current projects and expertise focus on bass heavy, soundscaped, narrative driven composition for live performance. In addition to being an electronic music producer, Zaak is a painter and fire dance performer. His background in performance and visual art make Zaak a talented facilitator and visionary for collaborative creation, which is the focus of his most current project The Zenotope Collective.
Read full bio here.
Ableton Live Online Classes
Ableton Live Certification (Online) – 101 / 110 / 201
Interested in ground campus classes? Click here.
Ableton Live 101 (Online):
Premier Version (Instructor Led): Next Start Date: January 13th, 2014:
Pyramind’s Ableton Live 101 online class is the first step in a series of certification courses. This class lays the groundwork for gaining a comprehensive knowledge of Live, one of the most widely used tools for producing and performing music at a professional level. From the start, the course emphasizes the importance of establishing an effective workflow and covers everything you need to know to get started using Ableton.
The class is divided into seven Chunks, or video segments, and takes place over 12 weeks (although students have access to course materials for a full 12 months after the start date). In addition to videos, students will have access to supplemental resources such as interactive media, class forums, and teach-led webinars.
To ensure that concepts are fully understood, the course has a series of assessments that lead up to a final project where students are asked to create an original piece of music in Ableton.
Suggested student learning pace during the 12-week class:
- Chunk 1 – Welcome to Ableton Live: (1 week) Overview of Live’s capabilities, strengths, and uniqueness among DAWs, exploring the user interface and getting started with clips and tracks, understanding basic preferences, saving, and utilizing the user manual and Ableton’s website
- Chunk 2 – Recording Audio (2 weeks): Understanding audio fundamentals such as sample rate, bit depth, and signal flow, looping in Live, exploring launch modes, configuring I/O settings and basic routing, setting Audio Preferences, and recording audio to tracks in Live.
- Chunk 3- Introduction to Warping (1 week): Introduction to Warping (1 week): Understanding and using Live’s Warp modes, differentiating between global BPM and segment BPM, and using warping correctively vs creatively
- Chunk 4 – Working with MIDI (1 week): Working with MIDI (1 week): Establishing concepts of MIDI vs audio, setting MIDI preferences, understanding CC values vs. note values, creating and using MIDI tracks, implementing virtual instruments with MIDI, recording and editing MIDI, and overdubbing multiple MIDI parts.
- Chunk 5 – The Arrangement View (2 weeks): The Arrangement View (2 weeks): Understanding the relationship between the arrangement view and the session view in Live, using the Capture and Insert Scene function, recording to the arrangement view from the session view, editing in the arrangement view, and understanding the Back to Arrangement button
- Chunk 6 – Ableton Effect Devices (2-3 weeks): Ableton Effect Devices (2-3 weeks): Using Live’s unique MIDI effects, manipulating parameters on Live devices, saving and loading presets, and understanding sends and returns
- Chunk 7 – Automation & Mixing (2 weeks): Exploring clip envelopes vs track automation, understanding MIDI/Key mapping for hands-on manipulation, recording and editing automation, and exporting your master track
Ableton Live 201 (Online):
Premier Version (Instructor Led): Next Start Date: January 13th, 2014
This class focuses on both the studio and live performance applications of Ableton Live. Students will receive comprehensive training on Live’s various modes, components, parameters, and capabilities, as well as, how this can be used in conjunction with other professional audio applications and other third party tools.
- Ableton Live overview (arrangement/session views, browser functions)
- Setting up Lives’ preferences
- Creating and arranging new songs
- Using Audio and MIDI files
- Audio editing, Warping, and looping
- Using envelopes and automation
- MIDI sequencing
- Plug-ins and virtual instruments
- Rewire and Live (Reason, Pro Tools and Logic)
- Recording audio clips and creating a set in real time
- Bouncing tracks
- Practical media management techniques
- Preparing the necessary digital files for live performance
Ableton Live 110 – DJ & Performance (Online):
Instant HD Video Access | Videos are available for 12 months:
This class focuses on the live performance applications of Ableton Live. Students will receive comprehensive training on Live 9′s various modes, components, parameters, and capabilities, as well as, how this can be used in conjunction with other professional audio applications and other third party tools.
- Audio Clips and Warping Techniques
- MIDI Overview for DJing in Ableton
- Fundamentals of DJ techniques in Ableton
- MIDI Controller Device overview
- Advanced DJ techniques in Ableton
- Interacting with Live Instruments and Ensembles / Live Looping and Remixing
- Extras / Trouble Shooting